Friday 26 November 2021

The Micro-R-Press and the long way to get there.

 Some month agao, Bill Ritchie asked me about laser-cutting from 3 mm plywood, to make a print-press.

He sent me the illustrator files of his "Mini-Rembrandt-Press" (old name = "WeeWoody Rembrandt-Press"). I translated some messures from inch into cm, add a handweel and start cutting. It needs some hours, but afeter this, I starded with the assembly, but failed partially. The result, I called "Qusimodo-Press", cause it became crooked, but ist works, 'cause the rollers are still parallel...

Now it is so, that the print format is "ATC"-size. The size of (Artists) Trading Cards.

But the smallest size, I'm working with is 4 x cm.

So I've had an idea:

Press shink to 55% of the Original.


Ok, this is only an model, to find out the right design, but it is for 4 x 4 cm-prints on 5 x5 cm paper!

So I took on the challenge of constructing all parts, also the rollers of the press, from 3 mm plywood.

Laser cutten plywood and the drawing of that plate.


Next step was to realise a working-model of the Micro"R"Press, as I called it.

And it works, I could assambly the prototype of a Micro"R"Press.

The Micro"R"Press with its gear(s).

I prefer a gear drive version, like the first "WeeWoody Rewmbradt Press". This means fixed rollers, but better power transmission.

And so I started to test differend printing-plates:

Different plates, I used.

Then I've had the idea to print a booklet in 5 x 5 cm. That need printing-plates fora paper size of 5 x 10 cm, or bigger. So I made a "long-printing-bed":

Long-printing-bed wit print and cliche.



The finished booklet, 5 x 5 cm.

But then, the press blocked... the handweel didn't go forward, or back...SHOCK.

Early end of a great idea?

I thought about an find a way to catch the big pressure, by adding "side-supports" for the rollers:

New version of the press with "roller-supports" at the sides.

And now, the Micro"R"Press is perfect for printing:

With the "universal-long-bed" it is possible to print 5 x10 with no problems. So stamps, for exsample. The print-plate, and later, the perforation is made with the same lasercutter, I've used to cut the parts of the press.

In the meantime, I've also made a manual for assambly the parts of the press:

Three pages of the manual in german / english.

 The first "DIY-Kit", just out of the laser has arrieved in Seattle now.

The press is no chidren's toy, but a nice tool, on the desk for making just a print, if you have an idea.

Best materials for the print-plates are photopolymere (clear-stamps), or soft-cut-plates. But with some practice, it is possible to print etchings (intaglio).

Vision and Realisation.





No comments:

Post a Comment